Sunday, November 15, 2009

language!!

does language shape reality or is it merely a way of communication?
what is reality?..It is nothing but the way things actually exist. Our own perceptions of the surrounding is reality according to us. For example when I look around this room I see the television, the paintings and the table. According to me the paintings are beautiful, but maybe according to you the paintings are ugly. So, the way I look at my surroundings is my own judgment of it. This is the way I perceive the reality around me. Unless I knew language how would I know the term “beautiful” and hence I cannot pass a judgment of my own. Edward Sapir said even though we live in the objective world we all have use language as a medium of expression. Also, unconsciously the “real world” is built upon the language we use. According to him it is an illusion to imagine how one can adjust to reality without us
Language is just a medium of communication. We may formulate in our minds but ultimately we are using language to express our thoughts which is communication. How does communication work? When one says something the other person hears it, dissects the sentence in his or her mind and then acts accordingly. For example, if I am talking to you at this moment, you may not realize it but in your mind each sentence is broken down and understood. When I says this is a table. You can understand it because you visualize a table in your mind.
Therefore I believe that we are like painters who shape reality based language and our mind is the medium and canvas on which reality takes shape. and we portray this painting by showing it to others. in other words communicating with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment