Sunday, December 20, 2009

memories...

memories of certain sounds,smell, events, words, certain times and days evoke a feeling of wanting to go back in time and experience it all again.but we also have painful memories of someone dying or events that made you extremely sad. but,how often in our wanting to preserve the past do we make more out of the past than is necessary? I believe sometimes we enhance the past to make the present more tolerable…that maybe things in the present are not as we would like them to be, so remembering the past and the familiar things associated with the past brings us some kind of comfort. when one is stuck in the past and cling on to in such a way that it inhibits the growth of the present and hence the future, then there is a high price for memories. the past can paralyze you present and stop you from moving further.for example, my friend once went for a summer camp during her school break. the next school break when her parents asked her if she wanted to go she said no because she had bad memories of the camp and she dint like it at all. hence, at the present she is stopping her self from going due to the bad memories she had at the camp. so, it is in some way stopping her from doing something.
from this example i am not saying that memories are bad. memories can be great when we dont cling onto the past. fro example, i remember my grandmother so well. she used to be a great cook and i learned a lot from her. she taught me how to be responsible as a kid, she taught me how to believe in myself and i loved her a lot. she is a role model for me. so my memories of the things my grandmother taught in the past have enhanced my present and will enhance my future too.
therefore, i have learned to move away from the past and move on from the present into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment